How to Implement the Flood; version 3

Last post 12-14-2010, 11:18 PM by DaRKSTaRxMeRC. 82 replies.
Page 3 of 6 (83 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-05-2009, 9:21 PM 578760 in reply to 578755

Re: How to Implement the Flood; version 2

coviekiller:
    Felix:
    coviekiller:
    Felix:
    coviekiller:

I don't know where you've been for halo 2 and 3, but look at what the flood do.  They charge with numbers.  That is all they do.

I think that card has been pulled before, and that doesn't help with anything.  Even If I don't play as them, they're still in the game.

I don't know, the pure forms kinda had some strategy (because the were more evolved), the spider things liked to do hit and runs, and the ranged form certainly didn't charge, and remeber Gravemind giving the combat forms orders like "find him" or "come back".  The point is that Ensemble has changed what the Flood is, admittedly they didn't do much else than charge in the campaign, but that was pretty much the Covie's only strategy too.  Now they can make Thrashers and Bombers and whatever else, the Flood innovates and stratagises now, and frankly they're more interesting like that.

I can just imagine how annoying it must have been for you when you played the Flood levels on Halo Wars, you were probably like "oh what the Hell is that floating thing now... a Bomber Form! that dosn't even make sense!", lol, no offence I hope.  Even still, I think the majority of people would want a Flood Faction.

I tried to roll with the new flood forms, but then I saw infacted jackels and grunts, and that kinda tore it.  plus, how did the bomber form float anyway?

MY POST COUNT IS OVER 9,000!!!
    Bow before me mortals!
    banned, for no good reason. I will be back though, and I intend to kick some serious ass...
  •  05-05-2009, 9:26 PM 578764 in reply to 578760

@ Felix

The Bomber form floats by using magic 

Design a Faction

http://www.halowars.com/forums/thread/795978.aspx
  •  05-05-2009, 9:47 PM 578778 in reply to 578764

Shadow Titan:

@ Felix

lol, my theory, as stated in my huge thread post, is that it uses gasses, like the Engineer.  I thought of it as a building killer, because I thought it akin to those German Zepplins that bombed London in WWI.  Anyway, I didn't notice the Flood Grunts and Jackels, that's kinda bullcrap.  I really don't think ES knew everything about the Halo lore before making the game.

•  05-05-2009, 9:53 PM 578782 in reply to 578778

coviekiller:
    Shadow Titan:

@ Felix

lol, my theory, as stated in my huge thread post, is that it uses gasses, like the Engineer.  I thought of it as a building killer, because I thought it akin to those German Zepplins that bombed London in WWI.  Anyway, I didn't notice the Flood Grunts and Jackels, that's kinda bullcrap.  I really don't think ES knew everything about the Halo lore before making the game.

I doubt if it would have gas pockets, as then it wouldn't have enough biomass to substain the flood form.

send a grunt and jackel squad into flood forms and see what happens

Bow before me mortals!
    banned, for no good reason. I will be back though, and I intend to kick some serious ass...
  •  05-05-2009, 10:03 PM 578787 in reply to 578782

oh, like on a skirmish map, I'll have to try that tomorrow.  I can see where they're coming from though, it's kinda unfair that the Human infantry gets infected but not the Covie's.  Even though, I kind of balanced it in my big idea post so that it worked with lore and was fair, but they should really take infection forms out of the guardian's arsenal, it just causes problems.
  •  05-05-2009, 10:09 PM 578790 in reply to 578787

coviekiller:oh, like on a skirmish map, I'll have to try that tomorrow.  I can see where they're coming from though, it's kinda unfair that the Human infantry gets infected but not the Covie's.  Even though, I kind of balanced in my big idea post so that it worked with lore and was fair, but they should really take infection forms our of the guardian's arsenal, it just causes problems.

you'll see some in campaign too.

grunts form carrier forms though.  Jackels, well, their bones are too hallow. 

the whole "flood in campaign" cause problems...

Bow before me mortals!
  •  05-06-2009, 7:10 AM 579000 in reply to 578641

The OP is one of the smartest people on this site. Great job.

GT: Donal O C

Playing again.
  •  05-06-2009, 6:30 PM 579522 in reply to 579000

Shockwave:

The OP is one of the smartest people on this site. Great job.

thanks, but who's OP?

•  05-06-2009, 8:32 PM 579666 in reply to 579522

Back in the days OP meant "Opening post" or "Opening poster".
  •  05-06-2009, 8:47 PM 579678 in reply to 579666

Grunts, Jackals, and Hunters should be infectable.  In fact, there shouldn't be a single unit that is uninfectable.

Shields should reflect Infection forms, making Wraiths very effective against flood, as well as Ghosts and Wraiths.  Flamethrowers, on the other hand, should be the be-all-end-all against Infection forms, which they already do magnifigantly.  They would quickly destroy Infection Forms with flame, which would have residual and devastating effects on nearby infection forms.

Thrasher would serve as a great anti-veichle unit, and should be the only flood Veichle.

Stalker forms (pure form type) would serve as great anti-infantry.  They could be equipped with a secondary attack that eats an enemy and restores health, which could be upgraded to have a large lunge attack, which would also allow it to attack air unit.  This could, interstingly enough, bring a triangle to the Anti-Infantry units:  Jackals beats Flamers beats Stalkers beats Jackals.

Bombers and Thrashers should be tier 2.

Dominant Will?  Didn't see this.

BTW I skimmed.  Assuming this is related to the first two (i was the last person to read the entire thing w00t!).  This weekend i might due a Rot style post to this thread, for old times sake x)

I FJ I:
    Adapt your strategy to the game and not the game to your strategy.

Adapt, survive, and, if all else fails, resign.
  •  05-06-2009, 9:45 PM 579730 in reply to 579678

T92:

Grunts, Jackals, and Hunters should be infectable.  In fact, there shouldn't be a single unit that is uninfectable.

I take it you never played a halo FPS game or read a halo book then?

Shields should reflect Infection forms, making Wraiths very effective against flood, as well as Ghosts and Wraiths.  Flamethrowers, on the other hand, should be the be-all-end-all against Infection forms, which they already do magnifigantly.  They would quickly destroy Infection Forms with flame, which would have residual and devastating effects on nearby infection forms.

To be technical, they don't really infect the vehicles, they infect the driver and use the knowledge they gained to control the vehicle.  Ghosts shouldn't have shields anyway.  It would be difficult to infect a wraith, as the flood form would have to take out the door on top to get to the driver.

Thrasher would serve as a great anti-veichle unit, and should be the only flood Veichle.

flood don't have vehicles, only infantry.  They may infect vehicles though.  Which is also a controversity as to why they can't be a part of the already established game mechanics.

Stalker forms (pure form type) would serve as great anti-infantry.  They could be equipped with a secondary attack that eats an enemy and restores health, which could be upgraded to have a large lunge attack, which would also allow it to attack air unit.  This could, interstingly enough, bring a triangle to the Anti-Infantry units:  Jackals beats Flamers beats Stalkers beats Jackals.

The flood don't "eat", they infect.  So, that really can't work. 

bombers shouldn't be in, nor any flying type creature as a matter of fact.

BTW I skimmed.  Assuming this is related to the first two (i was the last person to read the entire thing w00t!).  This weekend i might due a Rot style post to this thread, for old times sake x)

Unless you can find some witty comic strips to relate to the posts, and witty comebacks, you can't do a Rot style post. 

Bow before me mortals!
  •  05-07-2009, 6:29 AM 579996 in reply to 579730

Felix:
    T92:

To be technical, they don't really infect the vehicles, they infect the driver and use the knowledge they gained to control the vehicle.  Ghosts shouldn't have shields anyway.  It would be difficult to infect a wraith, as the flood form would have to take out the door on top to get to the driver.

flood don't have vehicles, only infantry.  They may infect vehicles though.  Which is also a controversity as to why they can't be a part of the already established game mechanics.

Unless you can find some witty comic strips to relate to the posts, and witty comebacks, you can't do a Rot style post. 

I'll do my full post later, but Felix, it's me TNine.

I FJ I:
    Adapt your strategy to the game and not the game to your strategy.

Adapt, survive, and, if all else fails, resign.
  •  05-07-2009, 5:16 PM 580401 in reply to 579996

im with OP this is probably best thought out flood plan ever, just one question, would juggernaut or proto gravemind be uber unit. and why not just make the biomass equivelent to supplies and have same ammount of supplies in start. it seems that flood is the newest, most wanted thing to come to halo wars and as the consumer we should have it.

chuRRo455

ß▲
    ▲ ▲

GT: ChuRRo455
    i don't like when i kill a generals army of flamethrowers and he resigns, what has this game come to?

http://www.halowars.com/stats/StatsGame.aspx?Id=15945552-9629-7847-4725-000000000000
  •  05-07-2009, 6:03 PM 580438 in reply to 578481

Aloysius:There won't be playable flood in Halo Wars.

Excellent write-up, though.
    party pooper
    I win
  •  05-07-2009, 8:51 PM 580665 in reply to 579996

T92:
    Felix:
    T92:

I'll do my full post later, but Felix, it's me TNine.

Felix, why you always gotta be negative.

I think it's a bad idea that all infantry get infected, the way I have it is that only the marines, flamethrowers, grunts (the elite), honor guards and brutes can get infected.  That may seem unbalanced in how more mainstream UNSC units can get infected than Covie, but the UNSC got worthogs at the begining along with non-infectable unique units at the begining of the game, so it's balanced.  I like the idea of Infection Forms being weaker vs. sheilds, it'll make PoR players want to get the personal sheild upgrade for the houor guards, but I never intended on letting Infection Forms infect vehicles, although there is a power that can do that in the Central Intelligence.  Yes, flamethrowers are very good vs infection forms, I'd say a flamethrower can only get infected if like 4 or 5 infection forms attack one flamethrower squad at the same time.

Felix is right, technically the Flood don't have vehicles, so I split it into Light units, Heavy units and Flying units.  The Heavy units are like the vehicles, there are 3 of them and the Thrasher is one of them and yes it was anti-vehicle, it also had a nifty power.

Thanks for reminding me that they were called Stalker Forms, I was just calling them spider things, lol.  Yeah, even though the Stalker forms are good agenst infantry, they're still easy to beat, that's because their true role is anti air as a Ranged Form, their Y ability is to lockdown like a Cobra and become a Ranged form who super effective against air craft, like a Wolverine.  I don't like the idea of eating an enemy to get health, the Juggernaut already has a similar power and their kinda small to do that.  Plus, infection forms, which will be numerous, take care of most infantry.

I wanted the bomber and thrashers in tier 1 becasue before hand the Flood really have nothing good against vehicles, unless you get tricky with the carrier forms, but mabey your right.

Feel free to make your own version of a Flood faction, don't let Felix discourage you, mabey you can make a better one than mine and the Robot employees might consider it.

Page 3 of 6 (83 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
View as RSS news feed in XML