How to Implement the Flood; version 3

Last post 12-14-2010, 11:18 PM by DaRKSTaRxMeRC. 82 replies.
Page 4 of 6 (83 items)   « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-07-2009, 9:19 PM 580714 in reply to 580401

Re: How to Implement the Flood; version 2

slykopper:

im with OP this is probably best thought out flood plan ever, just one question, would juggernaut or proto gravemind be uber unit. and why not just make the biomass equivelent to supplies and have same ammount of supplies in start. it seems that flood is the newest, most wanted thing to come to halo wars and as the consumer we should have it.

chuRRo455

The proto gravemind was not an uber unit, it was the highest level a base could be upgraded, like a Fortress or a Citedel, but there was a normal gravemind unit who was an uber unit, sorry if that's confusing.  In Halo War's campaign, on one level you had to kill a proto-gravemind, it was a Flood base, but the gravemind was like the one from Halo 2 and 3, you move it around and kill things with it.

The juggernaut wasn't planed to be an uber unit, it's about as strong as a scorpion, they'ed be a close fight, the major difference is that the scorpion got range and a medium air attack, but the juggernaut got speed and can heal it's self under the right conditions.

It would make things much easier to understand if Robot could make it so it takes just as much time and effort to get 100 biomass for the Flood as it would be to get 100 supplies as the Humans and Covies, but it's hard because of how different it is for the Flood.  About 50% to 70% of the biomass the Flood would consume in one game would come from the Recourse Roots built and upgraded on the Flood's bases and the rest would come from killing enemy units, for every enemy unit killed, a portion of the recourses (25-50%) that it took to the enemy to make that unit would be given to you, enhancing the idea that the Flood consume their enemies.  Also this makes Flood players want to get to the enemy quicker and want to use more stratagy cause they gain from every enemy killed, but they don't sacrafice as much cause their units are free.  I like this set up cause it gives the impression that, if not quickly taken care of, the Flood will get out of control and overrun you.  It dosn't matter how many Flood units you kill, they can just replace them, you have to go after the heart, or in this case the Central Intelligence and kill all production buildings on the way.

and thanks for bothering to read it all.

•  05-07-2009, 10:09 PM 580753 in reply to 580665

coviekiller:

Felix, why you always gotta be negative.

Spending most of my time here being positive kinda bit me in the ass.

I think it's a bad idea that all infantry get infected, the way I have it is that only the marines, flamethrowers, grunts (the elite), honor guards and brutes can get infected.  That may seem unbalanced in how more mainstream UNSC units can get infected than Covie, but the UNSC got worthogs at the begining along with non-infectable unique units at the begining of the game, so it's balanced.  I like the idea of Infection Forms being weaker vs. sheilds, it'll make PoR players want to get the personal sheild upgrade for the houor guards, but I never intended on letting Infection Forms infect vehicles, although there is a power that can do that in the Central Intelligence.  Yes, flamethrowers are very good vs infection forms, I'd say a flamethrower can only get infected if like 4 or 5 infection forms attack one flamethrower squad at the same time.

grunts can get infected.  They just become carrier forms.  Jackels, Hunters, and the flying birds don't have enough biomass to sustain the flood.

Felix is right, technically the Flood don't have vehicles, so I split it into Light units, Heavy units and Flying units.  The Heavy units are like the vehicles, there are 3 of them and the Thrasher is one of them and yes it was anti-vehicle, it also had a nifty power.

I would just have them an all infantry faction(if I were to be insane enough to have such a thought).  Have three "barracks" that make each counter unit.  ex. barracks, light barracks, and heavy barracks.  barracks make infection forms(I guess those would be made at the main base), but the barracks holds the infantry counters, light barracks hold air counters, and heavy holds vehicle counters.

Thanks for reminding me that they were called Stalker Forms, I was just calling them spider things, lol.  Yeah, even though the Stalker forms are good agenst infantry, they're still easy to beat, that's because their true role is anti air as a Ranged Form, their Y ability is to lockdown like a Cobra and become a Ranged form who super effective against air craft, like a Wolverine.  I don't like the idea of eating an enemy to get health, the Juggernaut already has a similar power and their kinda small to do that.  Plus, infection forms, which will be numerous, take care of most infantry.

I wanted the bomber and thrashers in tier 1 becasue before hand the Flood really have nothing good against vehicles, unless you get tricky with the carrier forms, but mabey your right.

Nothing is really good against vehicles in teir one.  I posted my ideas about this above.

Feel free to make your own version of a Flood faction, don't let Felix discourage you, mabey you can make a better one than mine and the Robot employees might consider it.

I intend to discourage people against flood threads and ideas.  As I and many ES(Robot) people have said time and time again, flood will not be a playable faction.

MY POST COUNT IS OVER 9,000!!!
    Bow before me mortals!
    banned, for no good reason. I will be back though, and I intend to kick some serious ass...
  •  05-09-2009, 8:42 AM 581933 in reply to 580714

coviekiller:
    slykopper:

im with OP this is probably best thought out flood plan ever, just one question, would juggernaut or proto gravemind be uber unit. and why not just make the biomass equivelent to supplies and have same ammount of supplies in start. it seems that flood is the newest, most wanted thing to come to halo wars and as the consumer we should have it.

chuRRo455

The proto gravemind was not an uber unit, it was the highest level a base could be upgraded, like a Fortress or a Citedel, but there was a normal gravemind unit who was an uber unit, sorry if that's confusing.  In Halo War's campaign, on one level you had to kill a proto-gravemind, it was a Flood base, but the gravemind was like the one from Halo 2 and 3, you move it around and kill things with it.

The juggernaut wasn't planed to be an uber unit, it's about as strong as a scorpion, they'ed be a close fight, the major difference is that the scorpion got range and a medium air attack, but the juggernaut got speed and can heal it's self under the right conditions.

It would make things much easier to understand if Robot could make it so it takes just as much time and effort to get 100 biomass for the Flood as it would be to get 100 supplies as the Humans and Covies, but it's hard because of how different it is for the Flood.  About 50% to 70% of the biomass the Flood would consume in one game would come from the Recourse Roots built and upgraded on the Flood's bases and the rest would come from killing enemy units, for every enemy unit killed, a portion of the recourses (25-50%) that it took to the enemy to make that unit would be given to you, enhancing the idea that the Flood consume their enemies.  Also this makes Flood players want to get to the enemy quicker and want to use more stratagy cause they gain from every enemy killed, but they don't sacrafice as much cause their units are free.  I like this set up cause it gives the impression that, if not quickly taken care of, the Flood will get out of control and overrun you.  It dosn't matter how many Flood units you kill, they can just replace them, you have to go after the heart, or in this case the Central Intelligence and kill all production buildings on the way.

no problem and sorry to bother you another question about mega root, is it /will it be plantable anywhere because then you would be able to have your army retreat from an enemy base and plant a mega root and an ameba which would be nice. also i dont see why this wouldnt be balanced out because almost all flod is melee so they are at a disadvantage. also incorperating tank forms could be a unique unit or take thrashers form for a leader just like chopper takes place of ghost for chieftan.

ß▲
    ▲ ▲

GT: ChuRRo455
    i don't like when i kill a generals army of flamethrowers and he resigns, what has this game come to?

http://www.halowars.com/stats/StatsGame.aspx?Id=15945552-9629-7847-4725-000000000000
  •  05-09-2009, 2:05 PM 582180 in reply to 581933

slykopper:
    coviekiller:
    slykopper:

chuRRo455

no problem and sorry to bother you another question about mega root, is it /will it be plantable anywhere because then you would be able to have your army retreat from an enemy base and plant a mega root and an ameba which would be nice. also i dont see why this wouldnt be balanced out because almost all flod is melee so they are at a disadvantage. also incorperating tank forms could be a unique unit or take thrashers form for a leader just like chopper takes place of ghost for chieftan.

no problem at all, it's cool to see someone took intrest in it.  I originally wanted to call the mega root the Long Range Root, because it's purpose was that it could be placed anywhere on the map, as long as you had a scout or something to see the area, but long range root didn't sound fun.  I think I actally called the mega root a master root, but mega root sounds better anyway.

But yeah, say you want your army to retreat, you could have a couple amoeba forms planted just a bit outside the enemies line of sight, so your units could heal and regroup, and to stop the enemy from pursueing you, you could plant a mega root right when you decide to leave, and even if they decide to just move past it you could be sure the root will kill at least half of the enemy's pursuing army.  See, lots of stratagy.

You know, your right, almost every Flood unit melees so they're always going to loose health before they get to the enemy, so the Flood needs little tricks like camoed units and special powers.  I think the Flood would be geared more twords people who like to get tricky with their tactics, much like the Nod or GLA from the C&C series.  I think it would be nice to have a faction like that, to get a break from people who spam nothing but Grizzlies and Hawks.

I really couldn't figure out any way to incorporate the Tank Form, but I think you got it.  The Unifying's Thrasher Form could be replaced by the Tank Form, wich would work the same way (with how the more of them there are the stronger they are), or mabey not, but they'ed be somewhat slower, mabey a bit faster than a marine squad (if they move on all fours) and make up for that by haveing a much higher attack strength and health.  The tank form would work well with the Unifying because they're the more regulated sub-faction that concintrates on having strong and massive armies of large units.  Thrashers would be espeshally good at hunting down stragling Scorpions and such cause they're so fast, but the Tank form would be just that, a tank like unit that absorbs a lot of damage as they approch.

And to Felix, I didn't know Grunts turn into Carrier Forms, that makes things a lot easier cause now the Covies at least got a regular unit that can be infected, just instead of Combat Forms they'll be Carrier Forms, which is just fine.

•  05-09-2009, 6:19 PM 582497 in reply to 578442

Re: How to Implement the Flood; version 3

This post changed my mind about implementing the Flood. Good work. However, there is pretty much no way that it will be implemented; it's simply too big and complicated to be put in as DLC. Maybe in Halo Wars 2, if there will ever be such a thing. Too bad, because consuming all sentient life (and fine gentlemen) on a map woupld be fun.

I would also like to point out that multiplayer doesn't have to be canonical, so that explanation about Flood fighting each other isn't necessary. Seriously, why would Cutter and Forge fight each other and/or with the Prophet of Regret? And how is it that there can be 6 Arbiters at the same time? The answer is that it is multiplayer; having things like that happen can be good gameplay (the goal of multiplayer.)

•  05-09-2009, 6:31 PM 582504 in reply to 578481

Aloysius:There won't be playable flood in Halo Wars.

Excellent write-up, though.

Aloysius, you make me *sad face*.

Random Generic Comment.
  •  05-09-2009, 7:21 PM 582573 in reply to 582497

wafflecannon02:

This post changed my mind about implementing the Flood. Good work. However, there is pretty much no way that it will be implemented; it's simply too big and complicated to be put in as DLC. Maybe in Halo Wars 2, if there will ever be such a thing. Too bad, because consuming all sentient life (and fine gentlemen) on a map woupld be fun.

I would also like to point out that multiplayer doesn't have to be canonical, so that explanation about Flood fighting each other isn't necessary. Seriously, why would Cutter and Forge fight each other and/or with the Prophet of Regret? And how is it that there can be 6 Arbiters at the same time? The answer is that it is multiplayer; having things like that happen can be good gameplay (the goal of multiplayer.)

I hope you know an infection form can't infect an already infected unit.  Which, in a flood v flood match, wouldn't work...

I would post more on how the flood can't work, but I must leave at the moment.

Bow before me mortals!
    banned, for no good reason. I will be back though, and I intend to kick some serious ass...
  •  05-09-2009, 7:34 PM 582585 in reply to 578481

Well you need to do something, because the game is getting old, fast. At least put in more leaders.

"This one has forgotten whether it's heatsink is over capacity. It wonders whether the criminal scum considers itself fortunate" ~ Blasto, the only Hanar Spectre.
  •  05-09-2009, 9:17 PM 582667 in reply to 582585

Flood's primary advantage should be lots of fast, weak unit.  Infected units should move slightly faster than regular units.  All normal units should start fairly fast (besides regular turret, Bomber form, and Tank form), and there should be an overall speedup upgrade.  Infection forms should have an individual speed up, and at the end, Infeciton forms should be nearly on par with boosting banshees.

Lastly, infection forms should be able to climb walls like the Scarab.

I FJ I:
    Adapt your strategy to the game and not the game to your strategy.

Adapt, survive, and, if all else fails, resign.
  •  05-09-2009, 9:55 PM 582706 in reply to 582180

coviekiller:
    slykopper:
    coviekiller:
    slykopper:

chuRRo455

no problem at all, it's cool to see someone took intrest in it.  I originally wanted to call the mega root the Long Range Root, because it's purpose was that it could be placed anywhere on the map, as long as you had a scout or something to see the area, but long range root didn't sound fun.  I think I actally called the mega root a master root, but mega root sounds better anyway.

But yeah, say you want your army to retreat, you could have a couple amoeba forms planted just a bit outside the enemies line of sight, so your units could heal and regroup, and to stop the enemy from pursueing you, you could plant a mega root right when you decide to leave, and even if they decide to just move past it you could be sure the root will kill at least half of the enemy's pursuing army.  See, lots of stratagy.

You know, your right, almost every Flood unit melees so they're always going to loose health before they get to the enemy, so the Flood needs little tricks like camoed units and special powers.  I think the Flood would be geared more twords people who like to get tricky with their tactics, much like the Nod or GLA from the C&C series.  I think it would be nice to have a faction like that, to get a break from people who spam nothing but Grizzlies and Hawks.

I really couldn't figure out any way to incorporate the Tank Form, but I think you got it.  The Unifying's Thrasher Form could be replaced by the Tank Form, wich would work the same way (with how the more of them there are the stronger they are), or mabey not, but they'ed be somewhat slower, mabey a bit faster than a marine squad (if they move on all fours) and make up for that by haveing a much higher attack strength and health.  The tank form would work well with the Unifying because they're the more regulated sub-faction that concintrates on having strong and massive armies of large units.  Thrashers would be espeshally good at hunting down stragling Scorpions and such cause they're so fast, but the Tank form would be just that, a tank like unit that absorbs a lot of damage as they approch.

And to Felix, I didn't know Grunts turn into Carrier Forms, that makes things a lot easier cause now the Covies at least got a regular unit that can be infected, just instead of Combat Forms they'll be Carrier Forms, which is just fine.

see how all this would balance out all three factions? and i have somethings that might intrest you. would the flood need pop upgrade(starting at 50 and upgrading to 60). also maybe for one of the leaders(maybe the knowing) could be on the fieldlike covie leaders (ive heard this in other flood threads but added a little twist to it) but the knowing could look like an AI but green and corrupted like cortana in the 8th mission of halo 3. i think the AI couldshoot lasers or just be a ranged unit and be about as tall as a cyclops so it is visible.my idea is that the ability to see any certain spot on the map would be the leaders Y ability and instead of an offensive power like other leaders it could have a support power, but to balance the lack of an offensive Y ability the AI should be very hard to kill.

here is leader combat upgrades i thought of

name of upgrade: light show

upgrade1: AI has stronger lasers to do more damage/300 biomass

reflector shield

upgrade2: AI reflects large projectiles like canister and rpg/ missiles ect. ,damage slightly up/600 biomass

zero gravity

upgrade3: AI levitates of ground at a faster speed, damage resistance up, damage of lasers up/900 biomass

i just thought a mix between in combat ant out of combat leaders would mix things up

ß▲
    ▲ ▲

i don't like when i kill a generals army of flamethrowers and he resigns, what has this game come to?

http://www.halowars.com/stats/StatsGame.aspx?Id=15945552-9629-7847-4725-000000000000
  •  05-09-2009, 9:55 PM 582707 in reply to 582180

coviekiller:
    slykopper:
    coviekiller:
    slykopper:

chuRRo455

see how all this would balance out all three factions? and i have somethings that might intrest you. would the flood need pop upgrade(starting at 50 and upgrading to 60). also maybe for one of the leaders(maybe the knowing) could be on the fieldlike covie leaders (ive heard this in other flood threads but added a little twist to it) but the knowing could look like an AI but green and corrupted like cortana in the 8th mission of halo 3. i think the AI couldshoot lasers or just be a ranged unit and be about as tall as a cyclops so it is visible.my idea is that the ability to see any certain spot on the map would be the leaders Y ability and instead of an offensive power like other leaders it could have a support power, but to balance the lack of an offensive Y ability the AI should be very hard to kill.

here is leader combat upgrades i thought of

name of upgrade: light show

upgrade1: AI has stronger lasers to do more damage/300 biomass

reflector shield

upgrade2: AI reflects large projectiles like canister and rpg/ missiles ect. ,damage slightly up/600 biomass

zero gravity

upgrade3: AI levitates of ground at a faster speed, damage resistance up, damage of lasers up/900 biomass

i just thought a mix between in combat ant out of combat leaders would mix things up and also you could just use the upgrades for the leaders Y ability like it was before. its a win win situation.

ß▲
    ▲ ▲

•  05-09-2009, 10:04 PM 582721 in reply to 578475

Felix:some nice ideas, but won't happen.
    Yeah, it's true. I wish it would. You always ruin the fun....
    Tank > Banshee
  •  05-09-2009, 10:05 PM 582726 in reply to 582721

Nocbl2:
    Felix:some nice ideas, but won't happen.
    Yeah, it's true. I wish it would. You always ruin the fun....

I also hate kittens...

Bow before me mortals!
  •  05-10-2009, 3:15 AM 582939 in reply to 578447

VinDezel:I applaud. Very well thought out and organized, i think the flood would be great to have in multiplayer. Kudos

I'm pretty sure this should be credited to Rotaretilbo, but then again, his was in Game Suggestions so us normal members cannot access it.

Oo, I once had this kitty. It was big a furry like my... coat. Yea... my coat...

Angatar, Iron-Power
  •  05-10-2009, 2:49 PM 583265 in reply to 582585

Wolverfrog49:

Well you need to do something, because the game is getting old, fast. At least put in more leaders.

i see what you mean because by now i bet almost every combination of units and leaders and skirmishes have beeen used and hey once in a while its just plain old fun to go back and do it again but after the i dont know... 50th time of trying an old strategy, or skirmish army ect. its gets old fast.

ß▲
    ▲ ▲

Page 4 of 6 (83 items)   « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML