True Skill

Last post 05-13-2009, 2:57 PM by paradox801. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (31 items)   1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-13-2009, 12:17 PM 586811

True Skill

Does anyone know what the average true skill is?
    Becuase it seems like the true skill distribution is so different from Halo 3.
    In the leader boards, there are only few people who have something higher than 45 (like 20, I'm not sure), out around 300K plaers online, and I remember in hallo 3 there are a lot more people with true skill higher than 45.

I'm not complaining, and I'm not saying that this game is harder than Halo 3,  because it isn't (I suck at Halo 3), but why is it so different?

•  05-13-2009, 12:19 PM 586813 in reply to 586811

Re: True Skill

Because true skill SUCKS!

Averagely, it goes like this

40+ your very good

45+ You cheated, or got lucky, and your skill cant be judged, becuase to many people got lucky, or cheated their way to this rank

35+ good

30-35 average

30- Not so good

1v1 - 48
    2v2 - 50
    3v3 - 47

Best player evar!!!1!
  •  05-13-2009, 12:29 PM 586822 in reply to 586813

honestly I think Trueskill is a great idea, it just hasn't been perfected yet, it's based off of the ranking system for Chess which has been around for a very very VERY long time, and it's a great idea... the biggest problem IMO is that it can't really fullfill it's job due to the constant changes in skill levels for players, someone can improve greatly very quickly, or someone can make a new account and just skyrocket upwards, or someone can quit playing for a while and lose their abilities.  IMHO the best way to do any true skill would require you to re-set it once in a while to give everyone a clean slate to breath some more excitement into it... but they don't do that, they just let everyone stagnate where they fall...

However, I'm not sure that Trueskill will ever be a good idea for an RTS.

Watch FJ and JJ's music video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DSxr-xSiqc&NR=1

My thread for Halo Wars newbies:
    http://www.halowars.com/forums/thread/627837.aspx
  •  05-13-2009, 1:03 PM 586864 in reply to 586813

I FJ I:

40+ your very good

45+ You cheated, or got lucky, and your skill cant be judged, becuase to many people got lucky, or cheated their way to this rank

35+ good

30-35 average

30- Not so good

I FJ I -  Your ranking system is totally wrong, and I would LOVE to play you.  My TrueSkill is 29 in 2v2 Arranged teams, but my win Percentage is over 80%.  You cannot control who you play and the matchmaking system for true skill is busted, therefore I don't get to choose to play teams that would offer me the ability to move up...  How can I win over 80% of the games I play but have a 29 True Skill and not be considered a very good player?  The real way to check how good or not you are is to use the "Skill" level on this website, which is equal to half of your win percentage...

•  05-13-2009, 1:05 PM 586869 in reply to 586864

truskill is broken we know that, they should just do what halo 3 had done, it works brilliantly and would owrk better on an RTS

Crunk Aint Dead
  •  05-13-2009, 1:08 PM 586873 in reply to 586864

H Rex:
    I FJ I:

40+ your very good

35+ good

30-35 average

30- Not so good

I FJ I -  Your ranking system is totally wrong, and I would LOVE to play you.  My TrueSkill is 29 in 2v2 Arranged teams, but my win Percentage is over 80%.  You cannot control who you play and the matchmaking system for true skill is busted, therefore I don't get to choose to play teams that would offer me the ability to move up...  How can I win over 80% of the games I play but have a 29 True Skill and not be considered a very good player?  The real way to check how good or not you are is to use the "Skill" level on this website, which is equal to half of your win percentage...

Ill play against you 2v2

I should warn you, im 190 - 8 in 2v2, soooo im good.

I was talking about the skill rank, not ture skill in any area. The "skill" is still based around microsofts turee skill system, but its over all. I win like 99% of 2b2 games, ive played and won against the best, and i still dont go up, infact i go sonw sometimes despite winning.

GT: I FJ I, if there is no room, send me a message and ill add you.

1v1 - 48
    2v2 - 50
    3v3 - 47

Best player evar!!!1!
  •  05-13-2009, 1:10 PM 586876 in reply to 586869

the killinghalo:truskill is broken we know that, they should just do what halo 3 had done, it works brilliantly and would owrk better on an RTS

Halo 3 uses the same system...

GT: Hostileeeee
    18-1 2v2 unarranged

1 loss from having a Recruit on my team vs. a Commander and Brigadier. He played Arby and didn't know how to use Rage or upgrade...
    I love randoms.
  •  05-13-2009, 1:18 PM 586886 in reply to 586876

you on about the gamestat trueskill FJ? is that even trueskill? in game id say around 30-35 is the average skill

:)

J2J
  •  05-13-2009, 1:19 PM 586887 in reply to 586873

I FJ I  - I am now confused, is your ranking system above about "Skill" on the Halowars website or "True Skill" ???
  •  05-13-2009, 1:21 PM 586892 in reply to 586887

H Rex:I FJ I  - I am now confused, is your ranking system above about "Skill" on the Halowars website or "True Skill" ???

I was talking about skill, from the website.

Tureskill is the name of a system made by microsoft.

MS tureskill determins your webiste skill.

Also, "true skill" is the name of the skill your given in a particular game mode, which is also based around MS trueskill system.

Very confusing i know

1v1 - 48
    2v2 - 50
    3v3 - 47

Best player evar!!!1!
  •  05-13-2009, 1:24 PM 586898 in reply to 586892

can we get a mod to confirm it?

you on now FJ?

:)

J2J
  •  05-13-2009, 1:38 PM 586915 in reply to 586898

Well, I am pretty sure about how this works.

Skill on this website, for example, if you looked up my gamertag in the player search on the gamestats page                            (GT: H Rex)      you would see that my skill under my name is 40.  If you add all of your games played together (All modes, all factions,  all 1v1, 2v2, etc. and DM or Regular) and divide into the number of wins you get your win percentage.  using me as an example I have played 332 games and won 268 of them.  268 divided by 332 is .8071189 or 80%.  If you divide 80% by 2 you get 40, you get the "Skill Level" that is posted on this site.

TRUE SKILL -  This is totally different.  This is some complex formula that Msoft has created and is based on who you play and who you beat.  The major problem with this is that the game attempts to MatchMake based on this complex formula and often it cannot get a close enough match.  When that happens you wind up playing people WELL below your Microsoft TrueSkill.  You can only move up in True Skill if you beat people above you in True Skill.  As there are not many people who play regularly with a trueskill over 35, it is extremely difficult to move up.  You CAN even move down by beating someone who is much lower than you on TrueSkill.  That is why people believe that the system needs an overhaul.

I hope this helps.

•  05-13-2009, 1:48 PM 586938 in reply to 586915

ture skill in this game is different from microsofts true skill.

The MS true skill is a number system that creates skill. Its up to the devs about how to use it. The MS skill system isnt broken, its how its used in this game.

About the skill, i dont think its worked out that way...What if you had 100% win loss, as in you played one game.

What about the handfull of 50s legit, they have w/l that doesnt show their skill according to your system. They should be lower thant they actually are.

1v1 - 48
    2v2 - 50
    3v3 - 47

Best player evar!!!1!
  •  05-13-2009, 1:52 PM 586945 in reply to 586938

FJ you are incorrect.

True Skill in this game is the Microsoft True Skill System.

Skill Level  is exactly as i described. - Do the math on your own stats, do them on JJ's you will see that i am right.  the 50's have never lost, but there are no 50's

You are confusing the two differerent Skill Systems - the MP Skill on the leaderboards is the same as the Microsoft TrueSkill number not the Skill Level number

Matchmaking is based on Microsoft TrueSkill not Skill Level

See this post -  http://www.halowars.com/news/devblog/archive/2009/03/13/Halo-Wars-Ranks-and-Skill-Levels-Explained.aspx

•  05-13-2009, 1:55 PM 586950 in reply to 586938

true skill makes no sense.  if you have to play people above you to move up then how do people get so high anyways?  That might be a factor...but it has to largely be based on something else...like your stats...as well. otherwise everybody would start the same ts and never be able to change.
    ...Dead man walkin!
Page 1 of 3 (31 items)   1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML