The biggest problem with Reach's plot

Last post 12-14-2010, 8:34 PM by AC Matt Klassen. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-12-2010, 9:07 PM 951629

The biggest problem with Reach's plot

I looked and didn't see anyone complaining that the Pillar was on Reach. This doesn't make any sense. Ships like that don't dock planet side, just before the battle the Pillar was docked on a repair station, I think it was hopeful. That was the reason most of the SII's had to take a pelican down to the planet to protect the MAC generators, the pelican that got shot down killing many spartans. The whole thing pisses me off because it makes it clear the writers didn't read the books. So who else noticed major breaks in cannon?
  •  11-13-2010, 4:05 PM 951994 in reply to 951629

Re: The biggest problem with Reach's plot

Well you see, Reach's lead writer was Eric Nylund and...
    Whenever a thread was hijacked and there were big quote boxes and lots of flame, I was there!

GT: I DFang I

http://averagejoesgames.com
  •  11-13-2010, 9:14 PM 952281 in reply to 951994

Actually, I think the biggest problem with its plot was that it sucked. The characters were bland, I didn't know their names because I didn't care, and I also didn't care when they died.

Why even have a plot if you're going to half-ass it like that? Really if they added around 20 more minutes of cutscenes they could have made it A material, but I guess they were concerned the countess five-year-olds that play Halo wouldn't be able to follow it.

Master Chief, the Arbiter, the Brute Cheiftain, the Prophet, Cortana, the monitor, Gravemind, and Sgt. Johnson were all well done, and I cared about them as characters. (I wanted to kill the Brute, Gravemind and Prophet).

But M$ wanted to cash in on the franchise without making too much effort on the inessentials.

What is happiness but the feeling of power increasing, and obstacles being overcome? -Nietzsche
  •  11-16-2010, 12:00 PM 953386 in reply to 952281

ReiverCorrupter:

Actually, I think the biggest problem with its plot was that it sucked. The characters were bland, I didn't know their names because I didn't care, and I also didn't care when they died.

Why even have a plot if you're going to half-ass it like that? Really if they added around 20 more minutes of cutscenes they could have made it A material, but I guess they were concerned the countess five-year-olds that play Halo wouldn't be able to follow it.

Master Chief, the Arbiter, the Brute Cheiftain, the Prophet, Cortana, the monitor, Gravemind, and Sgt. Johnson were all well done, and I cared about them as characters. (I wanted to kill the Brute, Gravemind and Prophet).

But M$ wanted to cash in on the franchise without making too much effort on the inessentials.

or you completely missed the in game naritive.... a lot of things that would have been cutscenes were done with in game scripts... I think you missed more of the subtleties that were throw in  

•  11-16-2010, 2:07 PM 953483 in reply to 953386

fiery grave:
    ReiverCorrupter:

or you completely missed the in game naritive.... a lot of things that would have been cutscenes were done with in game scripts... I think you missed more of the subtleties that were throw in  

Yes, I was going to say the exact same thing.  I still found some of the characters (*cough*Emile*cough*) to be a bit flat though.
    Whenever a thread was hijacked and there were big quote boxes and lots of flame, I was there!

•  11-28-2010, 2:43 AM 958433 in reply to 953386

How about the fact that Halsey didn't know about the S-III program until Ghosts of Onyx, yet she met and knew Noble Team, which has five S-IIIs?
    There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
  •  11-28-2010, 11:36 AM 958477 in reply to 958433

Kinda mOLDY.  Already been discussed.

•  11-30-2010, 5:23 PM 959467 in reply to 958477

DFang:Kinda mOLDY.  Already been discussed.
    sorry, i tried to seach but couldn't find anything. i felt the need to vent with other people that know halo.
  •  11-30-2010, 5:34 PM 959471 in reply to 959467

fwhoops
    You know who I am.
    Or did you?
    I forget.
  •  11-30-2010, 6:53 PM 959534 in reply to 959471

So does anybody know if Bungie has responded to all the things wrong with the story, I don't mean the depth of it but the cannon destroying stuff.
  •  11-30-2010, 7:42 PM 959570 in reply to 959534

IF you visit halopedia there is a timeline of the battle of reach that explains things.
  •  12-04-2010, 7:38 PM 961574 in reply to 959570

Slayer 2277: halopedia

fail

Supreme Commander Matt Klassen, captain of the Devastator-class ship Enlightened.

All Halo achievements unlocked.
    All CoD4 achievements unlocked.
    All MW2 achievements unlocked.
  •  12-10-2010, 11:22 PM 964464 in reply to 951629

CtNightrider:I looked and didn't see anyone complaining that the Pillar was on Reach. This doesn't make any sense. Ships like that don't dock planet side, just before the battle the Pillar was docked on a repair station, I think it was hopeful. That was the reason most of the SII's had to take a pelican down to the planet to protect the MAC generators, the pelican that got shot down killing many spartans. The whole thing pisses me off because it makes it clear the writers didn't read the books. So who else noticed major breaks in cannon?

I'm a bit late to this, but I wanted to point out that this is right; these ships were assembled in space and built for space travel.  It would be physically impossible for one to leave a planet's atmosphere, or to dock in-atmosphere.  That's a major fail.

•  12-11-2010, 10:45 AM 964564 in reply to 964464

dude527:

CtNightrider:I looked and didn't see anyone complaining that the Pillar was on Reach. This doesn't make any sense. Ships like that don't dock planet side, just before the battle the Pillar was docked on a repair station, I think it was hopeful. That was the reason most of the SII's had to take a pelican down to the planet to protect the MAC generators, the pelican that got shot down killing many spartans. The whole thing pisses me off because it makes it clear the writers didn't read the books. So who else noticed major breaks in cannon?

I'm a bit late to this, but I wanted to point out that this is right; these ships were assembled in space and built for space travel.  It would be physically impossible for one to leave a planet's atmosphere, or to dock in-atmosphere.  That's a major fail.

It's possible if there's a large amount of landside supplies that need to be moved onto the ship, fast. The ship's thrusters + those extra packs, clearly show that they can lift a ship out of atmosphere, as stated in the cutscene.

•  12-11-2010, 11:41 AM 964587 in reply to 964564

In reply to the OP.

DON'T SPOIL IT FOR ME!

COMMON SENSE:
    So rare it's a go'damn super power
    Oooh, my Common Sense is tingling

DäRKSTäRxMëRC

You got me good, munn.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items)   1 2 Next >